Updated: May 22
Christine Mason is organizing this fundraiser on behalf of California Explorer Search & Rescue. Donations are 100% tax deductible.
The Bay Area has seen economic, health, and social welfare disruption due to COVID-19. Many Bay Area residents are very sick, out of work, have depleted their savings, and are in dire need of feeding their families.
Food banks are overwhelmed, undersupplied and are forced to turn families away empty handed, leaving them on the brink of starvation.
At the same time, farmers are having their vegetable crops go to waste as restaurants are closed and supply chains have broken down. There is more than enough food, but it is not in the right places.
Gov. Gavin Newsom said that farmers and ranchers are experiencing a 50% decrease in demand while food banks are seeing a 73% increase. In the first three weeks of April, CalFresh, the state’s food stamp program, saw a 140% increase in applications compared with the same time last year.
Support local farms and food banks
How it works:
• Donors make tax deductible donation.
• Weekly funds are transferred to Surplus Produce and Farmers on Wheels, who will directly deliver fresh produce to Monument Crisis Center, Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano, etc.
• Surplus Produce and Farmers on Wheels, sources from various local farms, will provide discount prices. They currently deliver throughout the Bay Area.
• This helps the farms stay open and secure our food supply for the future.
Regardless of your ability to donate, please hit the "share" button after and share via social media, texts or emails to your friends. Sharing has proven to triple the reach & donations of these fundraising campaigns.
California Explorer Search and Rescue (Cal-ESAR) is a volunteer search and rescue team based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We respond to searches throughout Northern California from the Fresno area to the Oregon border and east to Nevada. Chartered in 1969 with the Pacific Skyline Council of the Boy Scouts of America, and operating under the auspices of the State of California Office of Emergency Services.
Cal-ESAR is working in partnership with other community organizations and locals businesses. Thank you for your generous support:
• The Realtors in the Orinda office of Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
• My Sustainable Table
Thank you in advance for your generous donation. Your donation is making a real difference and real lives. We hope your and your loved ones are safe and healthy. Even though we are apart, we are in this together.